Thursday, May 4, 2017

A Day on the Farm


This week has been busy.  We have had a cold, windy spring that has delayed some planting, so I feel like I am playing catch up.

 I planted potatoes:  Mountain Rose, Sanguine, and Katahdin.  I still have my favorite Purple Viking coming in the mail this week.


Planting onions


I also made bread  to go with the strawberry rhubarb jam I made the other day.  And finally I made some yogurt with my goat milk.



In the garden, I have direct seeded:  peas, spinach, Swiss chard, carrots, beets, Asian greens, kohlrabi, pac choi, Chinese cabbage, green onions, pickling onions, and radishes.






I moved some transplants out including broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, and onions.  And of course I have spent hours weeding.  May is always a busy month but can still be unpredictable so have row covers on hand to cover if there is a hard freeze.



The orchard has been fertilized and I will apply the first spray.  I think only the cherries and pears have not frozen.  Watch for aphids aphids this time of year and spray before the leaves start curling too badly.




I love this time of year.  I enjoy planning and planting and then comes the harvests. 

No comments:

Post a Comment