Thursday, September 7, 2017

The Best Tomato Sauce!


I've been on a quest to find the best canned tomato sauce that you can use straight from the jar without adding anything. Something for a quick easy meal. I think I found a keeper.  This recipe comes form Better Homes and Garden Special Interest Publication: Canning.

Last night I breaded some chicken and just dumped the sauce on top and baked it.  The last 10 minutes I added a slice of Mozzarella cheese on top.  I cooked pasta to go with it.  It was an easy and delicious chicken Parmesan.  This sauce would be great on any pasta or on zucchini or eggplant.

Tomato Basil Simmer Sauce


  • 12 lbs peeled tomatoes
  • 3 Tbs packed brown sugar
  • 2 Tbs salt
  • 1 Tbs balsamic vinegar
  • 1 tsp ground black pepper
  • 2 cups lightly packed fresh basil leaves
  • 1 cup lightly packed assorted fresh herbs such as oregano, thyme, Italian flat leafed parsley
  • 1 Tbs crushed red pepper
  • 6 Tbs lemon juice


  • Cut peeled tomatoes into small chunks and add to a stock pot
Any tomato can be used.  Paste tomatoes require less cooking time to reduce the sauce but a mixture of tomatoes offers a great combination of taste.

  • Add brown sugar, salt, vinegar, and pepper to tomatoes bring to boil
  • Transfer to a hot crock pot and let simmer until reduced to about 11 cups stirring occasionally
  • When reduced stir in remaining herbs and crushed red pepper

Basil, oregano, and parsley from the herb garden.

  • Add 1 Tbs of lemon juice to sterile hot pint jars.
  • Ladle hot sauce into jars leaving 1/2 inch head space


  • Wipe the rims and adjust lids

  • Process in a boiling water canner for 35 minutes adjust time  for altitude.


  • Remove lid of canner when time is up and leave jars for 10 minutes in canner before removing them to cool


  • Remove jars to cooll and check for a seal.

I changed the process a little. I like using a crock pot to reduce sauces.  I feel like I can leave the sauce and get something else done.  On a stove top you cannot do that. Just remember to stir occasionally.

 You can add one cup of snipped sun dried tomatoes that you dried yourself to add to the tomato flavor.  Do not use sun dried tomatoes in oil.  



I love that this recipe uses so many herbs from the garden.  I like that the seasoning out of the jar does not require any additional adjustment.  My family agrees this is a great canning choice for tomatoes.

The Italian seasoned tomatoes below is another favorite.  I do add additional seasonings to this depending on the recipe I am using.


No comments:

Post a Comment